May 2012 Update: Thanks to funding provided by the Texas Early Learning Council Scholarships are being accepted statewide for Associate Degree and CDA Assessment Scholarships! Scholarships available starting in the Summer and Fall 2012. Anyone who meets T.E.A.C.H. Eligibility Requirements are invited to apply. Send your application NOW to be considered.
Scholarships are still available to attend Blinn College‚ Temple College‚ McLennan College and Central Texas College through Texas AEYC funding.
T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® TEXAS is only limited by the amount of funding we have and we are actively pursuing grants and other forms of funding to support everyone in Texas wishing to further educational opportunities.
What is T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® TEXAS?
T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® TEXAS provides scholarships for those working in licensed child care centers and registered or licensed family child care homes in Texas. The goals of T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® are:
- To provide educational scholarship opportunities for people working in regulated child care centers and family child care homes;
- To increase the knowledge base of early childhood professionals working with young children‚ thus improving the care these children receive;
- To encourage child care programs to support the continuing education of their staff;
- To provide increased compensation that is directly related to increased education;
- To reduce staff turnover by supporting the above goals while also requiring from participants a specified time commitment to their sponsoring program after their scholarship year;
- To provide a sequential professional development path for teachers and family child care home providers currently in the field;
- To create a model of partnership for improving the quality of care that children in child care programs in receive.
What T.E.A.C.H. Scholarships are Available in Texas?
Currently, the following Scholarships are available in Texas:
- Associate of Applied Science in Early Childhood Education/Child Development for Center-based Teachers‚ Family Child Care providers and (NEW!) Directors of center-based programs.T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® TEXAS will cover the following costs for those enrolled in a local community college in the state of TEXAS pursuing an Associate of Applied Science in Child Development/Early Childhood Education:
- SCHOLARSHIP: 80% of the costs of tuition‚ excluding parking‚ graduation‚ late registration and other miscellaneous fees. Sponsoring centers are required to contribute 10% and the recipient contributes 10%. While Recipient is responsible for 10% of the costs‚ they will be provided a $75 travel reimbursement each semester they are enrolled in school. This‚ combined with book reimbursements‚ generally offsets the recipient’s financial contribution. Family Child Care Providers are required to pay for 20% of the tuition costs‚ generally averaging about $75 each semester. T.E.A.C.H. scholarships also covers up to 4 developmental classes if needed. Directors applying for scholarship are also required to sponsor at least one teacher employed at their center.
- BOOKS: 80% of the costs of books required for registered classes. We do NOT cover the costs of supplies‚ notebooks‚ and sales tax on books. Recipients from center-based programs must contribute 10% and the Sponsoring centers must contribute 10%. Family Child care Providers are required to contribute 20% of the costs of books. Average costs of books per semester are $90.
- RELEASE TIME: A crucial component of the T.E.A.C.H. Scholarship Program is paid release time provided to the scholarship recipient. Release time allows the recipient paid time off to study‚ work on class projects or simply get errands done that would normally occur during class time. Recipients must be provided 4 hours a week of PAID Release time by the sponsoring center‚ and T.E.A.C.H. will reimburse the sponsoring center $4 per hour‚ up to 64 hours per long semester. For Family Child care providers‚ you will be reimbursed $4 per hour which will be paid directly to you!
- TRAVEL STIPEND: A travel stipend of $75 per semester is paid to all scholarship recipients to help cover your costs of gas‚ transportation and other travel costs.
- BONUS: Upon successful completion of the one year contract‚ recipients will receive a $300 bonus from T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® TEXAS. Center based employees (Teachers and Director/Employees) will either receive a matching bonus or a 2% raise from the sponsoring center.
- Child Development Associate Assessment Fee ScholarshipT.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® TEXAS helps pay 85% of the CDA assessment fee application. The Sponsoring Center and recipient or both are required to pay 15% ($48.75) of the Assessment fee. Once the scholarship recipient received the CDA credential‚ T.E.A.C.H. awards the recipient a $150 bonus. In addition‚ the recipient is required to remain in their sponsoring center or home-based program for an additional 3-6 months‚ depending on the scholarship model chosen.This is a scholarship to pay for CDA assessment fee to the Council for Professional Recognition in Washington DC. Potential recipients must have completed all requirements for the CDA credential before applying for this scholarship. For more information on the CDA‚ please visit the Council for Professional Recognition website
T.E.A.C.H. Scholarship Requirements
Currently, T.E.A.C.H. Early Childcare® TEXAS is only available to those who meet the following general requirements:
- Work a minimum of 30 hours per week;
- Make less than $15.00 per hour;
- Work in a child care center or operate a registered or licensed family child care home licensed by the Texas Department of Family and Protected Services Childcare Licensing Division:
- Agree to take 9-15 hours at a community college in Texas over the period of one year (if applying for the associates degree Scholarship);
- Agree to a time commitment to your sponsoring center or to maintaining your family child care home. For center-based recipients‚ this is one year after the contract year; for CDA Scholarship recipients‚ it is 6 months.
Stay on top of the latest and breaking news on T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® TEXAS scholarship program! To sign up for our newsletter‚ click here.
LET US HELP YOU ACHIEVE YOUR DREAM! APPLY TODAY!
T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® Texas is a licensed program of Child Care Services Association.